Monday, June 4, 2012

Mets vs. Cubs 8/5/82

These gentlemen know large stadiums
not small, not intimate, not like it should be.
Not like the first time.

Nineteen Eighty Two and the Cubs
were there, terrible and I did not care.
It was a game! The green is what
I remember. You hear it so often, but
we could touch the ivy from our seats
in the second deck halfway up the first base line.

I don't know who started that game
but Jay Johnstone hit the first home run I ever saw.
The bat on a perfect plane across the shoulders
The ball a gentle, sunlit arc of white
softly landing in the basket in right center field
not caught by eager hands but by chain link.

The crowd booed someone from the Mets and
cheered when he failed, some guy from a baseball
card with a giant moustache named Kingman.
I didn't understand. Why boo one in particular?
I booed the Mets in general being a particular
child of nine, licking a wooden spoon covered in ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment